S.L.U.T.

How many of you are affected by this word? How many of you are females and how many are males? I was taking a break, forcing food down my throat (despite me not having food the whole day; read: 1030pm), i watched a tad of television. SBS was the channel (weird, I know) but yea, it was on the issue of trying to banish the word 'Slut' on broadcast and possibly in the human minds.


7 words were banned, and namely cunt, piss, motherfucker, asshole, cocksucker, fuck & shit (i think). Sorry to the word-sensitive peeps. Anyhow, they reckon piss is not offensive at all and proposed 'Slut' to be banned instead.


Why ban 7, when you can ban 8?


Anyway my point is, why are girls who enjoy sexual activities labeled 'slut' and why are men who have the same desires deemed as 'player' which has a more pleasing ring to it? In this society, men are encouraged to explore their sexuality and women are meant to stay virginity till marriage. I'm pretty sure things have changed, and those (girls) who went against this are sometimes termed as 'loose' as well. Why so? Doesn't this sound like a double-standard on gender equality? Although, no matter how we fight our case, we sometimes are charged guilty for sticking this label on others. We debate about equality yet a bitsy part of us would find it the most appropriate word to describe that 'someone'.


However offensive it may be to some, some love the term and wear it so proudly by it. Wot is the true definition of it? Does it only define the sexuality of the word, or should it include its intentions as well? Slut = sexual + intentions?


Oh well, I guess I would say I'm a feminist and I would want this word to be properly used and not only based on the judgment of outlook, or dressing, but an assessment of the party's intentions too. Still, I wont want to ban this word, because, i still wanna use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment